Merrimack County Savings Bank was founded to provide people of the Concord area with a means of earning interest on their savings and a source from which they could borrow funds to acquire a home. Since then, many other banking services have been added, and today the bank offers a full range of personal and business banking products and services. For 150 years, bank staff has provided professional and friendly customer service.
Governor Walter Harriman approved the charter of Merrimack County Savings Bank on July 2, 1867. The bank began business on the second floor of a building located on the north side of School Street which was also occupied by Minot and Company, Bankers, which later became the Mechanicks National Bank. Subsequently, in 1899, the two banks moved to the Board of Trade Building at the northwest corner of School and Main Streets sharing a lobby on the first floor of that building. In 1952, Merrimack moved into the remodeled Columbian block immediately to the north of the Board of Trade Building. Eventually, as the bank grew and its space need multiplied, the bank repurchased the Board of Trade Building and today the headquarters and main office occupy space that was once the two buildings.
A few highlights in our development over the years:
1867 New Hampshire governor Walter Harriman approves the charter for Merrimack County Savings Bank. The bank was founded to provide people of the Concord area with a means of earning interest on their savings and a source from which they could borrow funds to acquire a home.
1870 Lyman D. Stevens becomes the Bank’s first president. The first deposit is made by Isaac A. Hill, Jr., and G.S. Remick takes out the first residential mortgage loan to purchase a house on Spring St.
1899 Merrimack County Savings Bank and Mechanicks National Bank moved to the Board of Trade Building at the northwest corner of School and Main, sharing a lobby on the first floor.
1900 As the new century begins, customer deposits total $1.7 million.
1959 MCSB outgrows its space and moves to the remodeled Columbian block immediately to the north of the Board of Trade Building. (Eventually, the bank repurchased the Board of Trade Building and today’s Main Office occupies both buildings.)
1966 Merrimack County Savings Bank enters its 100th year. Customer deposits total $27 million.
1997 The Bank begins its 130th year of serving the Concord community. Customer deposits total $153,750,000. The Merrimack County Savings Bank Foundation is created with an endowment of $1,000,000.
1999 The first branch office opens at 1 Integra Drive in Concord.
2000 The bank begins the century with total deposits of $180.3 million.
2001 The second branch office opens at North State Street in Concord. Internet banking becomes a new banking channel for The Merrimack.
2003 The third branch office opens at 101 Broad St. in Nashua. Bank assets exceed $320 million.
2006 Merrimack Bancorp, a mutual holding company, is formed, with Merrimack County Savings Bank its wholly-owned subsidiary.
2007 Merrimack Bancorp acquires Bow Mills Bank and Trust which is merged with and into Merrimack County Savings Bank. Bow Mills Bank was a 19 year old local institution with strong community ties and commitment to customer service…a perfect match for The Merrimack. Three new branches were added as a result of the merger: 190 North Main St., Concord; 503 South St., Bow; and 35 Kearsarge Ave., Contoocook.
2010 Ron Wilbur retires. Paul Rizzi adds CEO to title. Commercial Loan portfolio exceeds $200 million. Bank assets exceed $600 million
2013 The Merrimack affiliates with Meredith Village Savings Bank under a newly created holding company, New Hampshire Mutual Bancorp.
2016 The Merrimack opens the Hooksett branch at I-93 Welcome Center.
2017 The Merrimack opens the Hooksett branch.
Presidents of Merrimack County Savings Bank
1870 – 1909 Lyman D. Stevens
1909 – 1913 John M. Kimball
1913 – 1917 Frank P. Andrews
1917 – 1935 Henry W. Stevens
1935 – 1951 William S. Huntington
1951 – 1968 Harry A. Bartlett
1968 – 1990 Herbert E. Little
1990 – 2007 Ronald A. Wilbur
2007 – 2015 Paul C. Rizzi, Jr.
2015 – present Philip B. Emma